Wednesday 26 October 2011

Childrens Felting at Knit-Wise

These are the words that accompany my husband's visits to the Lake District - walking, fresh air, fells, hiking, deep breaths, bracing, pub.  These are mine - sitting, log fires, hot chocolate, shopping, reading the paper, pub.

At least there is one thing we agree on and I suppose that's all you need. We spent a couple of hours at the Wainwright pub somewhere in the Lakes and a lovely mooch around Chesters by the River at Skelwith bridge. And we did see a deer, in it's natural habitat as it bounded through the bracken to escape us and the dog.  The dog did try to do a deer impression by bounding too, it lasted about 30 seconds on account of her big fat belly. I had my camera round my neck, but was so amazed at seeing a deer in it's natural habitat I didn't photograph it.  What a fool!





Here is a picture of my daughter looking suspiciously superimposed on the image but it is true, and it gives an idea of the different greens you can see at this time of year.  We had decided to do a sample of greens in our sketchbooks (get us), but the cold rock we were sitting on was pile inducing so we moved on.

Today we spent the morning felting at Knit-Wise in Ormskirk with a motley crew of  6 children.  Fun seemed to be had by all and then a lie down was needed by anyone over 21.







The felt that the children made was really good.  I was impressed with their ability and they went away with a new set of skills to carry on at home.

We used hand dyed fibres for todays class and because of the dyes in the fibres, the children were able to mix the colours which gave a wonderful effect. At one point there was felting, knitting, colouring and beading going on at the same time which obviously had been planned by the children to keep us adults on our toes but we survived.  Sometimes we even gave the impression that we were in control.

Here's one of the finished items, with embellishment!


I think this is wonderful, probably one of the best pieces of felt that I have seen in a long, long time  Who did it?  Oh, my neice!

See you soon x

No comments: